Synchron’s highly skilled multidisciplinary research team consists of engineers, neuroscientists, clinicians and preclinical researchers from the Vascular Bionics Laboratory (Department of Medicine, The University of Melbourne), Department of Biomedical Engineering (The University of Melbourne), The Florey Institute of Neuroscience and Mental Health, and The Royal Melbourne Hospital. The University of Melbourne is ranked as Australia’s top University.
- Removing the need for invasive brain surgery: the potential of stent electrodes. Opie NL and Oxley TJ. Future Medicine Ltd London, 2019.
- Neural Stimulation with an Endovascular Brain-Machine Interface. Opie NL, John SE, Gerboni G, Rind GS, Lovell TJ, Ronayne SM, et al. 9th International IEEE/EMBS Conference on Neural Engineering (NER), pp. 738-741, 2019
- Evaluation of a minimally invasive endovascular neural interface for decoding motor activity. Forsyth A, Dunston M, Lombardi G, Rind GS, Ronayne SM, Wong YT, et al. 9th International IEEE/EMBS Conference on Neural Engineering (NER), pp. 750-753, 2019.
- Closed loop neurostimulation: Listen to the body. Oxley TJ, Opie NL, World Neurosurgery, vol. 122, pp 415-416, 2019.
- Focal stimulation of the sheep motor cortex with a chronically implanted minimally invasive electrode array mounted on an endovascular stent. Opie NL, John SE, Rind GS, Ronayne SM, Wong YT, Gerboni G, Yoo PE, Lovell TJH, Scordas TCM, Wilson SL, Dornom A, Vale T, O’Brien TJ, Grayden DB, May CN, Oxley TJ. Nature Biomedical Engineering, vol. 2, pp. 907, 2018.
- Feasibility of identifying the ideal locations for motor intention decoding using unimodal and multimodal classification at 7T-fMRI. Yoo PE, Oxley TJ, John SE, Opie NL, Ordidge RJ, O’Brien TJ, Hagan MA, Wong YT, Moffat BA. Scientific Reports, 8:15556, 2018.
- Optimized partial-coverage functional analysis pipeline (OPFAF): A semi-automated pipeline for skull- stripping and co-registration of partial-coverage, ultra-high-field functional images. Yoo PE, Cleary JO, Kolbe SC, Ordidge RJ, O’Brien TJ, Opie NL, John SE, Oxley TJ, Moffat BA. Magnetic Resonance Materials in Physics, Biology and Medicine. 31(5), pp.621–632, 2018.
- Near-Field Wireless Power Transfer to Stent-Based Biomedical Implant. Aldaoud AJ, Ganesan RK, Rind GS, John SE, Ronayne SM, Opie NL, Garrett DJ, Prawer S. IEEE Journal of Electromagnetics, RF and Microwaves in Medicine and Biology 2(3), pp. 193-200, 2018.
- A Stent-Based Power and Data Link for Sensing Intravascular Biological Indicators. Aldaoud AJ, Redout JM, Ganesan K, Rind GS, John SE, Ronayne SM, Opie NL, Garrett DJ, Prawer S. IEEE Sensors Letters 2(4), pp. 1-4, 2018
- Visual evoked potentials determine chronic signal quality in a stent-electrode endovascular neural interface. Gerboni G, John SE, Rind GS, Ronayne SM, May CN, Oxley TJ, Grayden DB, Wong YT and Opie NL. Biomedical Physics & Engineering Express. 2018.
- Effect of Implant Duration, Anatomical Location and Electrode Orientation on Bandwidth Recorded with a Chronically Implanted Endovascular Stent-Electrode Array. Opie NL, John SE, Rind GS, Ronayne SM, May CN, Grayden DB, Oxley TJ. Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBC), 2018.
- Cortical Brain Stimulation with Endovascular Electrodes. Gerboni G, John SE, Ronayne SM, Rind GS, May CN, Oxley TJ, Grayden DB, Wong YT, Opie NL. Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBC), 2018.
- In vivo impedance characterization of cortical recording electrodes shows dependence on electrode location and size. John SE, Apollo NV, Opie NL, Rind GS, Ronayne SM, May CN, Oxley TJ, Grayden DB. IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, 2018.
- Signal quality of simultaneously recorded endovascular, subdural and epidural signals are comparable. John SE, Opie NL, Wong YT, Rind GS, Ronayne SM, Gerboni G, Bauquier SH, O’Brien TJ, May CN, Grayden DB, Oxley TJ. Scientific Reports. 8:8427, 2018.
- Spatially dynamic recurrent information flow across long‐range dorsal motor network encodes selective motor goals. Yoo PE, Hagan MA, John SE, Opie NL, Ordidge RJ, O’Brien TJ, Oxley TJ, Moffat BA and Wong YT. Human brain mapping, 39(6), pp.2635-2650, 2018.
- Advanced imaging of intracranial atherosclerosis: lessons from interventional cardiology. Pavlin-Premrl D, Sharma R, Campbell BC, Mocco J, Opie NL, Oxley TJ. Frontiers in Neurology 8:387. 2017.
- 7T-fMRI: Faster temporal resolution yields optimal BOLD sensitivity for functional network imaging specifically at high spatial resolution. Yoo PE, John SE, Farquharson S, Cleary JO, Wong YT, Ng A, Mulcahy CB, Grayden DB, Ordidge RJ, Opie NL, O’Brien TJ, Oxley TJ, Moffat BA. NeuroImage, 164(1), pp 214-229, 2017.
- The Ovine Motor Cortex: A Review of Functional Mapping and Cytoarchitecture. John SE, Lovell TJH, Opie NL, Wilson S, Scordas T, Wong Y, Rind G, Ronayne S, Baquier S, May C, Grayden DB, O’Brien TJ, Oxley TJ. Neuroscience & Biobehavioral Reviews, 80 pp 306-315, 2017.
- An ovine model of cerebral catheter venography for implantation of an endovascular neural interface. Oxley TJ, Opie NL, Rind GS, Liyanage K, John SE, Ronayne S, McDonald AJ, Dornom A, Lovell TJH, Mitchell PJ and Bennett I. Journal of Neurosurgery, pp1-8, 2017.
- Feasibility of a chronic, minimally invasive endovascular neural interface. Opie NL, Rind GS, John SE, Ronayne SM, Grayden DB, Burkitt AN, et al. 38th Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBC), 2016, pp. 4455-4458.
- Chronic impedance spectroscopy of an endovascular stent-electrode array. Opie NL, John SE, Rind GS, Ronayne SM, Grayden DB, Burkitt AN, May CN, O’Brien, TJ and Oxley TJ. Journal of Neural Engineering, 13(4), pp 046020, 2016.
- Suitability of nitinol electrodes in neural prostheses such as endovascular neural interfaces. Wong YT, Opie NL, John SE, Gerboni G, Rind GS, Ronayne SM, Fox KE, Oxley TJ, Grayden GB. Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBC), 2016.
- Micro-CT and Histological Evaluation of a Neural Interface Implanted within a Blood Vessel. Opie NL, van der Nagel NR, John SE, Vessey K, Rind GS, Ronayne SM, Fletcher EL, May CN, OBrien T, Oxley T. IEEE transactions on bio-medical engineering, 2016.
- Development and Implementation of a Corriedale Ovine Brain Atlas for Use in Atlas-Based Segmentation. Liyanage KA, Steward C, Moffat BA, Opie NL, Rind GS, John SE, Ronayne S, May CN, O’Brien TJ, Milne ME, Oxley TJ. PloS one. 11(6):e0155974, 2016.
- The evolution of endovascular electroencephalography: historical perspective and future applications. Sefcik RK, Opie NL, John SE, Kellner CP, Mocco J, and Oxley TJ. Neurosurgical focus 40:5. 2016.
- Minimally invasive endovascular stent-electrode array for high-fidelity, chronic recordings of cortical neural activity. Oxley TJ, Opie NL, John SE, Rind G, Ronayne SM, Wheeler TL, Judy JW, McDonald AJ, Dornom A, Lovell TJH, Steward C, Garrett DJ, Moffat BA, Lui EH, Yassi N, Campbell BCV, Wong YT, Fox KE, Nurse ES, Bennett IE, Bauquier SH, Liyanage KA, van der Nagel NR, Perucca P, Ahnood A, Gill KP, Yan B, Churilov L, French CR, Desmond PM, Horne MK, Kiers L, Prawer S, Davis SM, Burkitt AN, Mitchell PJ, Grayden DB, May CN, O’Brien TJ. Nature Biotechnology, 34(1), pp.320–327, 2016.
- “A Minimally Invasive Endovascular Stent-Electrode Array for Chronic Recordings of Neural Activity”. Oxley TJ, Opie NL, John SE, Ronayne SM, Burkitt AN, Grayden DB, May CN, O’Brien TJ. Brain Computer Interface Research; Springer, Cham. 2017.